CLASSROOM INCUBATION UPDATES:
Deadline October 12th – Time to Get in Touch
As we set up the schedule and gather materials, it is time for you to indicate whether or not you intent to participate in this year’s Classroom Incubation Program. Just send an email before October 12 to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your intention to continue.
Following this, you may have 1 more task to perform; confirm whether or not there is an incubation kit in your school, AND that you have the school’s permission to operate it this year. Most of you already have this information, especially if you participated last year using a kit that you did not borrow.
If you have not participated before, check the schedule below and ensure that you are able to commit to this program.
This September newsletter goes to several agency and NGO contacts, all of last year’s participants, and to new teachers who have already expressed interest this year. I will determine the project list from those who submitted an application prior to October 12th, based on these priorities:
- Last year’s participants.
- Participants who have asked to be on the project list biennially.
- New participants.
This is the 30th year of South Vancouver Island’s Classroom Incubation Program, and I estimate that I have the resources to support 100 incubation projects if there are not too many new participants. We will draw the line at 106 projects this year. Please note the level of interest has increased steadily over the past ten years, while the financial resources remain the same.
The following events and dates comprise the 2018/19 calendar of events for the Classroom Incubation Program.
- Friday October 12 – Deadline for submitting application.
- This year’s workshops are all on Thursday’s at 4 PM. Venue is Tillicum School, 3155 Albina Street, near the intersection of Burnside and Tillicum Roads.
- November 8 – Program orientation/registration for newcomers (Mandatory for newcomers)
- January 10 – Classroom incubation technical workshop (Mandatory for newcomers)
- February 7 – Dissection workshop. All are welcome
- By January 18 – All incubators up and running (tentative).
- Week of January 28 – Tentative dates for egg delivery
- Late April / early May – fry releases
- By May 31st – Submit release data.
Chiller and Cart Purchase – The Goldstream Volunteer Salmonid Enhancement Association has received funds to manufacture and sell 6 aquarium chillers at a cost of $582.40 each including tax.
2 aquarium carts purchased last year are for sale at $448 each.
These prices are exactly 50% of the retail cost, and are subsidized thanks to a generous grant from the Pacific Salmon Foundation.
Please contact me at email@example.com for more information and/or to purchase one of these units.
Rotary Dial Thermostats – If you are using the older rotary dial thermostat, I strongly recommend that you replace it with a digital thermostat this fall. Cost is $272.50 plus tax. The work would be completed in Victoria by the manufacturer, and coordinators will pick up and return units to be repaired. Deadline October 31st.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.