|Registration is now closed. This is the 31st year of South Vancouver Island’s Classroom Incubation Program, and due to its popularity, we are maintaining a wait list again this year.
New Website: all Classroom Incubation updates and information, including back copies of the Water Ship News, are now available at salmoninschools.ca
New and Returning Project Coordinators:
Your 2018/19 Project Coordinators are Brent Herrington, Breila Pimm, Drew Bodaly, Gale Robinson, Jill Camden and Kate MacDonald. In the following weeks, 1 of us will contact you to let you know when we’ll be around to check your incubation equipment and drop off the materials you will need for set-up later this year.
- Nov 5 – Nov 16: Project Coordinators visit schools to restock consumables and test equipment (please get yer gear out – it saves us a lot of time)
- Nov 8: Mandatory orientation meeting for new participants. 4pm at Tillicum Elementary.
- Jan 10: Mandatory technical workshop for new participants. 4pm at Tillicum Elementary.
- Feb 7: Dissection workshop. All are welcome. 4pm at Tillicum Elementary.
- By Jan 18: All incubators up and running (tentative).
- Jan 28 – Feb 1: Tentative dates for egg delivery
- Late April / early May: fry releases
- By May 31: Submit release data.
Chiller and Cart Purchase – The Goldstream Volunteer Salmonid Enhancement Association has 1 cart ($448) and 4 chillers ($582.40) left for sale this year. These prices are exactly 50% of the retail cost, and are subsidized thanks to a generous grant from the Pacific Salmon Foundation. Please let me know if your school is interested.
Rotary Dial Thermostats – If you are using the older rotary dial thermostat, I strongly recommend that you replace it with a digital thermostat this fall. Cost is $272.50 plus tax. The work would be completed in Victoria by the manufacturer, and coordinators will pick up and return units to be repaired. Deadline October 31st. Please reply for more information.